Photograph by Milam County Deputy Sheriff Greg Kouba &
Milam County Deputy Sheriff Reese Lockett - 27 July 2003
|Marker Title||Davilla Baptist Church|
|Location||from Rogers go south on FR 437 about 11.5 miles to CR 487, east 0.5 miles|
|Year Marker Erected||1995|
|Text on Marker||A Presbytery consisting of W. Beasley, L. Williams, P. T. Corneal, and E. Allison met at Mumford Springs, Milam County, Texas (present day Davilla) to organize Bethlehem Missionary Baptist Church in 1866. From 1868 to 1870 the congregation held services in the Davilla Methodist Church building. In 1870 the congregation purchased a town lot here in Davilla where they constructed a sanctuary in 1871. The congregation was subsequently renamed the Baptist Church of Christ at Davilla, Texas. Early baptisms took place in several nearby creeks. People from the area west of Davilla and others converted by evangelist Elder Penn joined the congregation in the late 1870s. Church records indicate that the congregation has been referred to as Davilla Baptist Church since 1904. For many years a tabernacle adjacent to the church building was used by various local denominations for summer revivals. A baptistry was installed in the sanctuary in 1955. On February 16, 1992, the congregation held their last Sunday School and church services in the original 1871 church building and later that year a new sanctuary was completed at this site. The church continues to provide religious instruction and serve the community with various programs and activities. Sesquicentennial of Texas Statehood 1845-1995|
|Source||Texas Historical Commission's Texas Historic Sites Atlas Database - July 2003|
Created on 27 July 2003 and last revised on 21 Apr 2004.