Photograph by Milam County Deputy Sheriff Greg Kouba &
Milam County Deputy Sheriff Reese Lockett - 30 July 2003
|Marker Title||St. John Lutheran Church Cemetery||Address||.||Location||3 miles north of Thorndale on CR 437||City||near Thorndale||Year Marker Erected||1992||Designations||n/a||Text on Marker||The small agricultural community of Detmold was settled near the turn of the century by German immigrants. In 1900, local residents Carl Fick, August Boening, and Ernst Richter deeded land at this site for the establishment of a Lutheran church and cemetery. The oldest recorded grave, that of Gottfried Eschberger, dates to 1903. Over 175 graves are located here, many with tombstones bearing German surnames and inscriptions. In 1963, the church congregation relocated to Thorndale, but the cemetery remains as a tangible reminder of the small community.||Source||Texas Historical Commission's Texas Historic Sites Atlas Database - July 2003|
Created on 27 July 2003 and last revised on 23 Apr 2004.