Photographs by Marie Hubert - 2004
|Marker Title||St. Thomas Episcopal Church|
|Address||302 E. Davilla|
|Location||Inside the Church|
|Year Marker Erected||1977|
|Text on Marker||Earliest Episcopal services in Rockdale were held in 1875 in a store, where other faiths also worshiped. On Dec. 19, 1876, Bishop Alexander Gregg organized St. Thomas Mission, and in 1879 this site was bought with funds given by the Solon Joynes family. A frame chapel-- preserved as nave, chancel, and sanctuary in the present edifice-- was built in 1880. The Rev. Joseph Carden, 1920-24 rector, made and adorned the altar with original carvings. To accommodate the growing parish, the church was enlarged and a parish hall added in 1952.|
|Source||Texas Historical Commission's Texas Historic Sites Atlas Database - Aug 2004|
Created on 31 July 2004 and last revised on _____________.