The western portion of the county was developed slowly. There were few early settlements and these were found near the water holes or springs. There were a few settlements also along Little River of the creeks flowing into it. The first schools, with the exception of Cameron and Davilla, remained small until a very late date because of the scarcity of pupils. Later, when the Santa Fe and I.&C.N. railroads came through, the settlements began to grow and new settlements were established. These settlements grew rapidly. the towns of Rockdale, Thorndale and Buckholts were established because of the railroads. the building of the railroads throughout other parts of the country was the cause of the decline of Davilla, an inland town. Davilla, which at one time had the largest school in this section of the county, declined into only a very small village.
Immediately after the Civil War, in 1866, the carpet-baggers undertook to establish public schools for blacks and whites on equal terms. Dr. T. A. Pope was the first country superintendent, or strictly speaking, district superintendent for two counties including Milam County. Some years later, in 1880, the schools were placed in the hands of the County Judge by the Commissioner’s Court. At this time a census was taken and a state apportionment of about $3 or $4 per pupil was made to each district.
Thereupon each community elected and provided a regular salary. If the funds were too meager for a full school term, and they usually were, the teacher’s income was supplemented by receiving free board in the homes of patrons. Frequently the income was supplemented by tuition fees. According to Mr. Frank Clement who began teaching in 1882, the salary never averaged over $50 or $60 per month.
Mr. Clement* gave a clear account of how a teacher could obtain a teacher’s certificate. When applying for a certificate he appeared before the Certification Board, composed of Mr. Tom Henderson; Mr. Bill Streetman, and Mr. John Oxenford, and was questioned about various and sundry things until they were satisfied as to his qualifications. Later, he received a scholarship to Sam Houston’s Normal College granted by Governor O. M. Roberts. At that time, a teacher who held a certificate from a normal was held in high esteem. Mr. Clement and Miss Lou Streetman were the only teachers in Milam County who held that distinction. Mr. Clement’s interest in schools has been continuous and his services have been outstanding. He served as County Superintendent from 1894-1904, and from 1908-1914, a total of fourteen years. He was a friend to Milam County education. When he completed his last term as County Superintendent in 1914 there were 81 common school districts, as compared to 92 today. Many of the older schools have been consolidated and new ones have been created. During his term of office there was only one independent school district, today there are six. Mr. Clement in his time advocated the consolidating of schools, but he vigorously opposed the erection of large buildings unless the community was assured of a long life and a large population. His idea of subsequent changes have been justified. Changes have occurred in the population due to the development in industries and the building of new railroads, both of which drew the population away from the earlier centers.
In 1890 Mr. W. A. Morrison was the leading spirit in a movement for creating the office of County Superintendent. The office was created, and Captain J. F. Thompson, Mrs. Meta McCown’s father, was made County Superintendent. The incumbent was a graduate of the University of Mississippi, and served for four years from 1890 to 1894. The other county superintendents, aside from Mr. Clement were:Newton, J. E. P. - 1894-1896*
Both of these last superintendents were teachers of the writer in the Cameron schools. (1)
The information concerning this school was obtained from Mr. Henry Hailes through Miss Jean Adams, and from Mr. D. K. Hall.
The old Hardy Scarborough home was the site for the first school. It was a tiny log house called “scrondge out”. Later Jim Givens donated the land for a school and a church; the latter being called “Given’s Chapel”. It was a good building. Some of the teachers remembered by Mr. Hailes were: Captain Jinks; Mr. Noble; Miss Mollie Looney; Mrs. Frank Graham; Mr. Black; Mr. Rankin (1891; and Mr. Huffetutler (2 years); and Mr. William Richard (1898). It was a large school. There were ninety to one hundred pupils. Some of the pupils remembered were: Pete Hall; Sookie Edwards; Addie Fawcetts; Ed Hopkins; Mrs. Charles Gilliam; the Flemings; the Halls; the Laws; the Deckeries; the McNeils; the Wades. In later years there have been two fires. Until the last one (1927) the people of Ad Hall had saved some old log benches from the first school, but these were lost in the last fire.
According to Dr. V. E. H. Reed: Mr. Henry Hailes, and Miss Jean Adams, the Bryant Station School was but a tiny school before the Robinson school closed. After the Robinson school was closed, the people built a new school. the hall of the new building was used as a meeting place for the Masonic Lodge. this school was built on the Jesse Bryant land near a spring, later owned by the Blankenship family. Mr. E. M. Scarborough attended this school before the new school was built. Another who attended before 1869 was Hank Hailes Daniels. Pupils who attended with Mr. Hailes were: lfred Cook and Little John Briant. Later John Peeler; John Lewis; the Blankenship and Raney boys, were enrolled. The first teacher, according to Mr. Hailes, was Mr. Renfro. Later Mr. Heints; Mr. Walter Williamson and Mr. Roberts taught there. The enrollment ran from 40 to 50. The present school building was built when the Masonic Lodge “went down”. Mr. Oscar McAnally, the writer’s maternal grandfather, taught there. He was educated in Nashville, Tennessee, and Davilla. He was later editor of the Cameron Herald.
The information concerning the Buckholts schools was furnished by Miss Jean Adams and is in Substance as follows: The first school at Buckholts was opened as a private school in 1884 by Mrs. Sarah Joyce, assisted by her sixteen year old daughter, Ida Joyce. The location of the school was just across the street due west from the present school grounds. Mrs. Joyce was the writer’s great grandmother, and Miss Joyce her maternal grandmother.
In 1885 the ground for a school was donated by Judge Buckholts, the grandfather of Miss Jean Adams. More ground was added to the property and the third school built in that city is now on approximately the same location as the first two. Mr. D. H. Criswell was one of the first teachers. Mrs. Annie Walshak Maresh, now living in Buckholts, was one of his pupils.
The early settlers of Cameron demonstrated their interest in education by founding the Milam County Liberal Arts chartered in 1859 or in 1860 on grounds purchased in 1857. The building was 30 or 40 feet wide, and ninety feet long, with a chimney at each end. It was a frame building and unpainted. the lumber was bought at the mills built in East Texas and shipped by the Houston, Texas Central Railway to Millican, the terminus of the railroad at that time; and then to Cameron by wagon. Movable wooden partitions placed at varying distances divided the long school room into compartments to suit the needs of the teachers. The seats, desks, and blackboards were homemade, and all bore evidence that the boys were skilled in the use of their knives. The same old bell that was in the belfry of what is now spoken of as the “Old Grammar School” stood in the yard. The first organ in Cameron was kept in a box-like compartment in one corner and was drawn out only on Sunday Mornings, and on state occasions to be played by Miss Floretta Streetman, now Mrs. Hicklin, the mother of Mrs. R. L. Brown. The building was used for preacdhing services on Sunday night. Candles placed in brackets along the walls and stately pillars, served to light the spacious room. the walls of the building were covered with mottoes, proverbs, and hieroglyphics, which none but the writers thereof and their sweethearts could understand. This building was erected by the father of C. W. Lawrence.
Some of the teachers who served the Liberal Arts Institute became influential citizens who later helped shape the affairs of the state. Among the teachers were the following:
|Name of Teacher||Period of Service||Remarks|
|Smith, J. L.||1861-1865||Probably the first teacher. Educated at Port Sullivan College, and Baylor at Independence, from here he graduated. Later taught at Salado.|
|Streetman, W. B.||1865||Married Miss Lou Green, one of his pupils|
|Flinn, Mr.||1867||In charge of Academy. Took room and board at G. A. Batte|
|Flinn, John||.||Son of the Principal|
|Flinn, Julian||.||Son of the Principal|
|Martin, Micohat||1868||Teacher in Academy. Nicknamed “Cage”|
|Anderson, Miss Annie||1869||First teacher of H. L. Batte Sr. Took room and board at home of Capt. S. A. Batte. The Andersons were people from the North.|
|Greer, W. D.||1870||A queer bearded Welshman, a graduate of Yale. After being at home of Capt. Hefley then of Capt. Batte, moved to school building. Possessed a “clown” dog “Jack”.|
|Tillman, Mr.||.||Had as his assistant Miss Jennie Fulton.|
|Cameron, Mr. Henry||.||Started, and resigned to Mr. H. L. Hall.|
|Lee, Morgan C.||1874||Lived in the Baptist parsonage.|
|McNeil, Mr.||.||Taught two years.|
|Crawford, A. E.||.||Had previously taught in Cameron|
|Oxenford, John C.||1878-1880||An highly educated Englishman who later became County Clerk. Later became drinker and died in asylum.|
|Ellis, J. N.||1880||.|
|Dillard, Mr.||1881||Split in School|
While Mr. Dillard was principal, a difference arose between two factions of the town, and in 1881-1882 two schools were maintained. One was taught by Mrs. Homan, in the academy, and Prof. Dillard taught the other school in the building that was later known as the Cameron Herald building. Mrs. Homas had come to Cameron many years before and had conducted a private school for some six or eight years. She taught music as well as other subjects. At this time, a Mrs. Nellie Clark taught a private school in a double log house where the old Pope home now stands. The writer’s father remembers taking a little girl, Mollie Moore by the old academy, and continued a few blocks to this school. After Mr. Dillard left Cameron the Patterson brothers took over his school, and many of the older people remember the time when the Grantham brothers stabbed the Patterson brothers. At one time a Mr. Clement and a Mr. Seay came to Cameron to open a private school, but neither of them succeeded, for they both died that year. They lived with Captain Wolf.
The writer’s father, Mr. R. L. Batte Sr. reports that there were not grades before 1883. The textbooks used were: McGuffeys Readers; Davies’ Arithmetic; Webster’s Dictionaries; Murray’s Grammar; Webster’s blue-backed speller, and a geography. The public schools were not held in high esteem, and many families sent their children to private schools.
Later the grounds were re-surveyed by Dr. Reed, and a new public, or tax supported, school was built. The building burned as soon as it was finished, but a new one was built of stone. The stone building, in turn was replaced by a brick building in 1898. The following were trustees: B. J. Arnold, president of the board; J. M. Hefley; D. Kemp; J. P. Thompson; Dr. V. E. H. Reed; J. B. Mood, and one other whose name cannot be ascertained. Some of the teachers who taught in the new building at different times were: Smith; Ragsdale; E. A. Cockran; Miss Ada Henderson; Miss Mildred Baskin; Miss Seabow; Miss Lola Streetman; Mrs. Cockran; Miss Mollie Moore; Mr. Frank Clement and probably Mrs. Lina Kemp. These did not all teach at the same time, however.
Some family names on the Cameron school rolls are:Arnold
This information was secured from Mr. Henry Hailes through Miss Joan Adams.
Some of the first teachers were: Walter Williamson; Mr. Richards; Jessie Pollock Blankenship; Mr. Jenkins; and Miss Mollie Moore of Temple. No more information could be secured.
The Davila grant was given on October 18, 1833 by the Mexican governor to Miguel Davila. Davila lived in Mexico, and there is no record that he ever came to, or lived on, his grant. He sold it in 1839. Finally in 1856 the grant came into possession of D. T. Chamberlain. the part that was left in Milam County became known as Davilla (written with two l’s).
Bill Bond built a house on this grant in 1864. His neighbors were Jackie Cook and Jim Murrah. In 1868 Harvey Chamberlain came to the settlement, and was identified with it for many years. The town soon gained many industries and became a commercial center. Dr. W. F. Sharpe came to Davilla in 1871, and his widow still lives there at the age of 91. Mrs. W. P. Sharpe, whose mind is still alert and vigorous, gave in substance the following account of the Davilla school.
A school was started by Mr. Robert Hood, a Confederate veteran from Mississippi. He seems to have had a good school, and built up an excellent reputation for his school. He came to Davilla in 1856, and stayed for six or seven years, until about 1873. In December, 1873, a Mr. Ragsdale came to Davilla and opened a school under the auspices of the Masonic Order.
This school was of the academy type, and was well equipped. Later the academy moved into the Hendrix building, a two-story building. the books were bought by the pupils but the buildings was thoroughly equipped in other ways by the management. There good desks and blackboards. All grades were taught. The lower grades were taught by assistants, who were women. The main teacher was also a woman. Mrs. Ragsdale also taught. The advanced subjects were taught by Mr. Ragsdale, and it is said of him that there were few better teachers. His work was so well done that many students came here to prepare themselves for college. At one time the enrollment reached about two hundred. It was considered an honor in that day to be a graduate under Milton Ragsdale. The school term ran for seven to eight months.
The reputation of the school spread to the far reaches of the state, and on to other states. As a result the little county village prospered, numbering at one time over 1000 citizens. One family alone had 15 children in school. The out-of-town people boarded with private families, or lived with friends. Some pupils came from other parts of the state, and a few from other states. The academy was known as the best school in Central Texas. A humorous story was circulated about a farmer saying that he was going to send his boy to Davilla to get educated in book-learning if it took a whole year. One of the pupils who the writer asked about was her maternal grandfather, Hon. Oscar F. McAnally. Mrs. Sharpe states that he rode the first train he ever saw from Nashville to enter college, where he later graduated. Among other students who later became influential citizens of the state was Mr. W. A. Morrison of Cameron, a very intelligent man who influenced Milam County education at a later date. Other pupils were:Alford, DeWitte
At one time there were about 250 or 300 students enrolled at Davilla School.
The Ragsdales were very well educated teachers. Mr. Milton Ragsdale taught in Davilla for 12 or 15 years. Mrs. Ragsdale who also taught, was the daughter of McKenzie who founded McKenzie college, a forerunner of Southwestern University. Miss Ada Henderson, a very prominent educator in Milam County, taught in Davilla as assistant and teaching the primary grades. She came to Cameron in 1855 and taught there until just before her death in 1927 or 1928. She is almost a legend in Cameron. Her pupils both loved and respected her. It can be said that no one has ever instilled into as many people in a lifetime, the morals and high standards that she gave to the Cameron people, who passed through her hands as a primary teacher. No one will ever know how wide spread her influence was. Mr. Hammond, a Yankee, came to Davilla after Ragsdale left. After a year or two the school began to decline, for the reason that the school had been built around Mr. Ragsdale, and when he left the school was like a ship without a rudder.
In 1890-95 Mr. Frank Clement taught in Davilla. He remembers Davilla as being a great educational center. In the citizens of Bell and Williamson counties, as well as of Milam County attended school there, Davilla became a public free school sometime between 1895 and 1896. Mr. Clement is of the opinion that this school began operation before the Civil War.
The information concerning the Eldridge Schools is very meager. Miss Jean Adams and Henry Hailes have been able to furnish a few items.
Mr. Hailes, who came to Milam County in 1865, remembers the oldest school near Buckholts to be the Eldridge school. It was begun before the Civil War for the children of a number of families who came from Alabama. It was located one mile north of Dr. Eldridge’s place between Ad Hall and Corinth. It was not used as a school in the late sixties, but Mr. Hailes repeats that he occasionally saw the old building until it fell to decay. Some of the pupils were: Tuck McDonald; the two Eldridge boys; the Daniel children; and the Smith boys. One of these is John Smith, who is still living.
The material given herein was related to the writer by Mr. and Mrs. Deane Ferguson.
Gause got its name from one of the early settlers, Judge Gause. It was only a small settlement until The railroad came through in 1882, and then it began to grow. The school was organized in 1874 and built by free contributions from early settlers. All materials for the building were hauled by ox teams from Grimes county. the grounds were donated by the New York and Texas Land Company. the furniture was all home made. This building was used until after 1900. This building was constructed by Mr. Dan Fowler and Mr. Dave Evard.
The attendance in this school averaged from forty to sixty. The number enrolled was from 75 to 80. There were some pupils who walked five miles to school. the length of a term averaged from three to six months. The teacher’s salary averaged from thirty to fifty dollars per month.
Some early teachers were:Adams, F. M.
Some of the families who attended were:Bailey
The information concerning this school was secured from Mr. Frank Clement.
In the seventies a man named George Miller, but commonly known as “Beardy” Miller, left his estate to be used for the purpose of building a fine school for the children of his community. His estate, when it was settled, was found to have furnished eight or ten thousand dollars for this purpose. The plan was carried out in 1874-1875, and the school was known as the “Beardy” Miller Academy. The first teacher was Jack Clement. The building is still standing and the school is now called Millerton, located five miles east of Thorndale. The story is told that when Dr. T. A. Pope was district school superintendent under E. J. Davis, the “carpet-bagger” governor, he made a trip to inspect the schools in that portion of the county. When he rode up on horseback o “Beardy” Miller’s house, Mr. Miller was sitting on the porch. Dr. Pope said, “I’m T. A. Pope, school superintendent, and I have come to inspect the schools.” Mr. Miller looked him over and said, “Yes, I knew you for a d---- Yankee when I saw you carrying that umbrella!”
Mr. Oscar Kidd, a lawyer of Cameron, taught school at New Salem in 1895-96. He remembers as pupils: The Vitrop children, Carl, Maril, and Fred; two De Bose girls; one whose name was Fannie; Grace McKinney; Elbert McNeil and his brother; some Dass children; Ernest and Dell Foster, and their sister; the McBurnet children, and others. This school is south of Rockdale is still in existence. It was considered a very good school in that day.
The information given here was secured from Mrs. Arthur Baskin at Cameron.
She attended this school from 1884 to 1886. She remembers as teacher, a Mr. Rogers. He was assisted by his sister. Miss Mattie James taught the next year. She is now Mrs. John Sapp at Rosebud. Some of the pupils were the Barretts; Harbours; Minchews; Ellis’; and Lee Amerino. The school was taught only in the summer.
The information concerning Rice schools was secured from Mrs. Jeff Kemp.
Evidence has been found that leads to the conclusion that there was a school in the Rice community before the Civil War. In 1868 Captain William Sewell was teacher in the school. He was an excellent gentlemen. Reverend George Morrison, a Presbyterian minister and uncle of Attorney W. A. Morrison of Cameron, was teacher for many years. Mr. Duke preached and taught school for some time. Other teachers were: Mrs. S. M. Burns, Sr.; Miss Edna V. Trigg; Miss Olive Todd Walker; Miss Etta May, later Mrs. C. V. Terrell; Miss Nora Duncum; Miss Annie Thank; Mrs. Tom Evard; Robert Wiley; W. O. Taber; and Dr. J. L. Crane. A school building was erected in 1875, and is now being used for a church. Later the district was consolidated with Hoyte.
Mr. Henry Hailes and Miss Jean Adams report that the Robinson school was taught by Dr. Newson in 1868, and was attended by Mr. Hailes. This was the last year it was in operation, the pupils having been transferred to Bryant Station school. It was situated west of the Corley place near a spring. The official name was “Judge Robinson” school.
Material concerning Rockdale schools was secured from Rockdale Lair, 1926, and Mrs. W. A. Morrison, assisted by her friends.
Rockdale, located in the southern part of Milam county and in a southwesterly direction from Cameron, was established in 1873, when the International and Great Northern railroad reached that terminus. It was laid out on land belonging to Hon. Cyrun R. Smith; B. F. Ackerman; and George Green, large landholders residing in Cameron. It was named by Mrs. B. F. Ackerman, wife of the above mentioned, and incorporated at an early date.
At once, many people from various parts of the county began to flock to flock to this new town. Tents sprang up as if by magic, to be replaced by crude wooden structures later on. From that time on, Rockdale grew rapidly in population and trade, and became a successful rival of Cameron until 1881, when the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe completed its road to that town.
Mrs. Ackerman relates this story about the naming of Rockdale.
As she and her husband drove toward town for the opening ceremony, they passed a huge rock standing alone in a valley. When he asked her what she would name the town she gave the name “Rockdale”. The officials of the railroad agreed, and “Rockdale” it has been ever since.
In 1874, a few weeks after the I.&.G.N. railroad reached Rockdale, the first school in the town was organized by Miss Molly Roby. Miss Roby taught for six months, and though realizing the lack of educational advantages, was finally forced to give up on account of poor patronage.
It was not until the following fall that an attempt was made to re-organize the first school. Miss Maggie Hall, a slight, girlish young lady, who had attended Baylor University in old Independence, and who had taught several years in the Bryan Public school, felt the great need of education for the young. In September she opened a private school in one small upper room of a house owned by Mrs. Cole, located where the Matson home now stands. Miss Hall taught her little school for the nine months term of 1874-1875.
In the meantime, the town had been incorporated, and the citizens decided that the time had arrived for them to secure the benefits of education under the administration of Governor O. M. Roberts. To achieve their purpose the council appointed a board of trustees consisting of Dr. W. A. Brooks; R. H. Hicks; J. H. Stribling; A. E. Fullenwider; Dr. A. C. Walker; Rev. W. E. Copeland, with E. M. Scarbrough (Mayor Ex-Officio) chairman – a sturdy, strong group of pioneers.
An old abandoned storehouse at the corner of Cameron and Green streets was appropriated, and the public school of Rockdale launched. Very meager indeed were the furnishings of the first school. Miss Hall, who had been elected assistant teacher, had a small desk at the front of the room, while Mr. W. Wyatt, who was principal, had a small platform at the rear of the room. Mr. Wyatt’s only recommendations were, that he was a Confederate soldier, and could “wallop” the boys. His platform was equipped with a desk, a box of sand used as a cuspidor, and a bundle of switches. the principal’s general attitude and the sight of the switches aroused the resentment and tears of the pupils. However, under these primitive conditions the first public school of Rockdale dragged through its first session.
One term for Mr. Wyatt was enough for the school board. Mr. Brickhouse was elected to be the principal for the new term. Miss Hall again accepted the position as assistant. Mr. Brickhouse conducted the school in such a way as to gain the respect and confidence of both the pupils and parents, despite the fact the same poor old building and equipment was used. Mr. Brickhouse was a clean, quiet gentleman of middle age, and a widower with five children.
At the beginning of the next term, Miss Hall resigned her position and built a small schoolhouse on the site of Conc. R. Isaac’s present home. There she taught a private school for girls. She was assisted by her Aunt Mrs. Marsh. Mr. Brickhouse taught this session in the old building without an assistant, which now almost amounted to a boy’s school, since most of the girls attended Miss Hall’s school. At the close of this term of council offered to rent the new building of Miss Hall’s for the use of the public school and elect her as principal. She gladly accept ed this offer, and for the next two years school was conducted under these circumstances.
Following the close of school in the spring of ’79, Miss Hall resigned and was married to Mr. R. H. Hicks. Mr. and Mrs. Hicks continued to be identified with the social, religious, and educational and business interests of the town, serving in many capacities throughout the year.
School attendance was growing rapidly. The trustees, realizing the need for a larger building, rented the old Brooks’ Hotel on the corner lot where now stands the J. L. Lockett home. Mr. C. W. Rainwater, as principal, and Miss Ella Meekin (the late Mrs. A. H. Wilkins) as assistant, were in charge of the classes. The school grew and prospered under their leadership for its next two terms, after which the hotel was bought by Mr. Lockett.
In this connection it might be said that there were a number of private teachers in those early days. Mr. O. F. Roberts, a maternal grandfather of Mrs. H. T. Coulter, a Presbyterian minister of the old school, organized and taught a private school in a church building which served the needs of all denominations. The building was located where the Presbyterian church now stands. Here also a Mr. Waddel, an Episcopal minister, conducted a private school. The section around the church building was still timberland, and the story is told that here redheaded Mr. Waddell was often seen with a switch chasing the “bad boys” of the school out among the trees, trying to catch and punish them. Other teachers in the early and later stages of the private schools were Miss Nannie Breeding and her sister, Mrs. Crabbe; Rev. W. E. Copeland; Miss Fannie and Imogene Rugeley; Mrs. Bell, and Miss Ellen Ghent. The Jews for a number of years conducted the German-English Academy with Mr. Harmon and Burlinger in charge. It occupied the site of the R. L. Hale home, and was sometimes used as a synagogue.
After the sale of the Brooks Hotel, the school was moved to the Methodist church where Mr. James Kinnard, a nephew of Dr. W. N. Kennard, a much-loved physician in those days, and Mrs. R. H. Hicks conducted classes for another term, at the close of which they resigned. Miss Meekin and Miss Sallie Kennard were appointed for the following term.
Conditions were improving, but the citizens realized more and more the need of a school building large enough to accommodate the ever-increasing number of children. it was about February 5, 1883 that the first official board of trustees was elected by the people. This board was composed of A. E. Fullenwide; R. H. Hicks; C. H. Coffield; James H. Hill, Sr.; Ben Lowenstein, Sr.; Rev. J. H. Stribling and Rev. W. E. Copeland.
The new board immediately got busy. Bonds to the amount of $10,000.00 were issued and plans laid for a new modern brick building to be built on the beautiful hill west of town, later to be known as College Hill. These were great days for Rockdale. the building was completed about the time Grover Cleveland was elected for his first term as President of the United States. A great double celebration was planned, and when the day arrived, and the new school building was pronounced ready for inspection, a huge gathering assembled up on the hill. There were speeches, handshakings, and general rejoicing by young and old.
Mr. J. W. Clark, a native of Virginia, who attended Virginia Military Institute, and Emory and Henry College of Virginia; and who had taught at the school with a principal and a fine staff of teachers, served as superintendent for eight years with inteligence and devotion. He helped to establish an educational institution fully graded and affiliated with the State University. Since this earliest period it has been recognized as one of the best small schools in the state.
Mr. Clark resigned as superintendent and moved away in 1890. Mr. F. L. Norton was elected to fill his place. Mr. Norton successfully piloted the affairs of the school for the next nine years. During that time his wife died, leaving him with seven children. He moved to Denison where he remarried and still resides. About this time Mr. C. E. Brennan, a forceful young man with very modern ideas, became head of the schools. The modern ideas did not appeal to many. Mr. Clark was recalled, and accepted. This time Mr. Clark taught until 1910, when he moved to Georgetown, where he passed away a few years later.
Mrs. Bob Nabours at Cameron went to Salem in her school days. She remembers as teachers Mr. Kenneth King, (1873); Miss Belle Smith (1874); Mr. Gus Smith. The school was held in the church. Mr. Jim Nabours taught there once, and he had the pupils all study aloud.
According to the information secured from Mr. Henry Hailes through Miss Jean Adams, the school was opened about the time the present Bryant station school was built and the first teacher was Sam Blankenship. No more information concerning this school is obtainable.
According to Frank Clement, San Gabriel schools were established in 1877, and the second and third teachers were Mrs. Clark and Mr. Clement. the first school was held in a one room log building. San Gabriel now has one of the best rural schools in the county. A new building has just been completed. Mr. Jamie Clark is given the credit of securing this building for San Gabriel.
The school in Thorndale was established in 1882. A new building was erected in that year. The first teacher was Miss Annie Clement. She was a sister to Mr. Frank Clement, who was mentioned as a friend of education in Milam County. Another brother, Mr. Jack Clement, taught at Millerton, or “Beardy” Miller’s school. Other teachers taught in the order given:Miss Jennie Jones
This information was attained from Dr. V. E. H. Reed.
Just when the Val Verde school was started cannot be ascertained, but Mr. Oscar McAnally taught there in the eighties. He was later editor of the Cameron Herald and member of the Texas legislature.- - - - -
* Father of the present County Superintendent, Guy T. Newton
** Information concerning the schools of Cameron was obtained from personal interviews with Dr. V. E. H. Reed; Mrs. Jeff Kemp; Mr. Lee Batte; Mrs. Lee Batte; Mrs. Fanny McLane; Mr. Tom Sampson; and Mrs. T. S. Henderson.- - - - -
CHAPTER VII - FOOTNOTES
(1) Robbins, Mrs. K. K., Cameron Herald, March 18, 1925
We must say a special thank you to George Keeton of Buchanan Dam, Texas, for typing the above thesis for use on the Milam County TXGenWeb site.
Created on 21 Dec 2003 and last revised on __________